Friday, November 19, 2010

"I'm waiting for the dawn to break"


I dreamt of you last night.
a dream as short as a haiku
in a terraced field, high on a hill
you sat at a long table,
laughing and smiling.
I was down below at another table, too far from you to hear me if I called to you.
Instead I offered sign language, why the language of the deaf?  I don't know.
I signed to you, I love you, with fingers outstretched.  Do I know how to sign I love you?
In the dream I knew.
At first you signed back, a- ok sign?  rounding your fingers, your thumb to your index finger, laughing as you did it.
and then after you saw my sign,
you tried to sign to me
I love you.
smiling both of us, we signed to each other.
The dream was over.
I coudn't reach you high on that hill.
I was happy to see you,
happy that you were happy.
I pray for your happiness, if that's part of what the next life is.

I don't know what happens after this earth leaves our souls.
There are so many questions.  and so few answers.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment